Monday, April 28, 2008

Acquire Information, It is the Key

As a caregiver the most important thing you can do for yourself is to arm yourself with knowledge.
The more informed you are the better you are able to cope with situations that will arise.
Recently I have been browsing the internet to find resources that are available for caregivers, something I was unable to do when I was a caregiver.
With the knowledge I have now there are many things I would have done differently.
I am giving you this information because I don't want you to make the same mistakes I made.




Alzheimer's Caregiver Support Online
www.alzonline.net


Offers an online training class for caregivers called Positive Caregiving.This site also has message board, chat room ,reading room with excellent articles for caregivers.Also has a resource center that offers forums presented by Alzheimer's experts.

Benefits checkup
www.benefitscheckup.org/

To help people age 55 and over find program that may pay part or all of the cost for prescription drugs, health care etc.


Needymeds
www.needymeds.com/

Links people who need help in paying for medication to charitable programs.
Programs are available for Ad medications like Aricept, Reminyl, Exelon.



CareSsentials
www.caressentials.com

Dedicated to self-care for the caregiver
It also has a weekly free telephone support group for caregivers.


Caregiver
www.caregiver.com/channels/alzheimers/index.htm

Information available on several topics including depression, nutrition, patient's incontinence.
Also hosts a discussion forum and live chat two nights a week.



Alzheimer's Disease Education and Referral
www.alzheimers.org


Information on symptoms, cause, diagnosis and treatment.
Also has live question and answer formats that are available to the public Monday - Friday.


As I find more websites I will post them for you.



.

2 comments:

Carol D. O'Dell said...

I can't agree with you more. Information is power.

I cared for my mom for morethan 15 years--she had Parkinson's, and then, I brought her into our home for the the last three years of her life and she developed Alzheimer's.

I wrote every day to capture the honest, sometimes raw emotions that come with caregiving and family relationships. I was also a sandwich generation, so I juggled raising our three teenager daughters, marriage, and all that comes with a chaotic household. So I know firsthand how important it is to plan, to gather your resources, and to be prepared for all that is to come.

I now have the privaledge of speaking to caregivers and those in the medical profession and to bridge the gap between families and professionals--and I hope to make a difference.

~Carol D. O'Dell
author of Mothering Mother: A Daughter's Humorous and Heartbreaking Memoir, available on Amazon
www.mothering-mother.com
Family Advisor at Caring.com

gi said...

Hi,
Thanks.
Its nice to finally meet someone who has been there and understands what you are speaking about.Its good to see someone using what they have been through as a stepping stone to help others.
Congratulations